Trust me, you will not regret trying this recipe. I look forward to making this dish each season as we get closer to eggplant season. And not only is eggplant season here (yay!) but tomato season is here as well (double yay!).
- 1 medium to large eggplant
- 4 tbsp oil (olive, sunflower, etc.)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese or fresh mozzarella torn up
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 14 oz chopped tomatoes (chop them up and cook them down a bit in a sauce pan with a bit of salt and your favorite herbs)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 8 or so slices. Brush the slices with oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, without letting them get too floppy. Remove from the oven. Sprinkle the cheese and basil over the eggplant slices.
Roll up each slice and place the slices in a single layer in a shallow ovenproof dish. Pour the chopped tomatoes over them and cook in the oven for 10 minutes or until the sauce bubbles and the cheese melts.
Remove the stuffed eggplant slices from the oven and transfer carefully to serving plates. Spoon any remaining chopped tomatoes on or around the eggplant slices. Garnish with basil leaves and serve while still hot.